Catalogue of Sorts

What I wear, when I wear it, and how it works on my bike

Friday, Saturday, Sunday

wigFriday, I got my hair cut, then ran a couple errands, in the Icebreaker zen skirt, and a long-sleeved black t-shirt. I also wore the Fluevog Sharons and a lovely green scarf.

At home, in my pyjamas, I worked a little on the Debbie Harry is The Black Canary Halloween costume. I have this incredibly cheap-ass blonde wig–it’s too long and boasts about half as many wefts as it needs to cover your scalp. I removed a couple of the lower wefts and moved them higher. Eventually, I’ll sew in some black wefts (when they arrive from where I’ve ordered them) to make the two-toned Debbie Harry hair everyone remembers. There are cheap-ass-wig blonde hairs everywhere in my sewing room because after I trimmed the length, I sewed the trimmings into additional wefts to beef up the bangs and the overall thickness.

It was about as tricky as I expected to turn the trimmings into wefts and I was not as careful as I should have been. Frankly, I was too excited and having too much fun.

jacketSaturday, we took a nice walk. Again I wore the IB zen skirt with my newest Nau zip-neck merino t-shirt. On Saturday (and on Sunday), I also worked on the costume jacket, which I’m making from 1974’s Simplicity 6658.  When I tested the pattern, I added about an inch to the center back. The jacket has an open front, but was still a bit tight across the shoulder. It was an easy  fix to just add width to the back, since the front need not close. The fabric is a stretch cotton, so I’m not too worried about the sleeve, for once.

I’ve lined it in an itchy, stretchy blue gauze with a glitter floral pattern, even though the pattern is unlined. I think it will work out okay–the lining will get stitched down at the sleeve and under the collar facing, but I’ll leave it loose at the bottom. I started to make a bias binding for the bottom of the lining out of the canary yellow satin that I’m using for the boot pieces but then I remembered how much I hate making bias binding and used some black satin binding I bought from the store.

I had pinned the collar in place before I realized that I had missed one of five pattern pieces for the waistband and both facings. The written directions were . . . vague about the facings and the tie around the waist, so I did not notice I was missing three pieces until I tried to pin the rest of the jacket together.

Advertisements

Information

This entry was posted on April 12, 2015 by in Going Out Casual, Sewing, Taking the day off and tagged , , , .

Archives

Posts

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

%d bloggers like this: